Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A Valentine's Day to Remember
























































Saturday found us experiencing an ultimate high. Our first stop on our day trip was the city of Florence. After researching the destination I was looking forward to seeing some authentic, historical adobe buildings that the area is known for. Unfortunately, we soon learned this was not to be. Perhaps a case of false advertising or some wishful thinking on their part...either way I was disappointed to find out that there was maybe one adobe building and I finally saw it on my way out of the city in the car. After filling up at a local dinner (hmm...definitely some authenticity there!) the goodman-caines clan and our family decided to head to Lost Dutchman State Park. Upon arrival we all decided to do the 2.4 km trail...piece of cake after the hikes we'd done already right? I guess I should have read further because I would have seen the words "elevation change of 500 ft". It was rocky terrain so poor Bill had to carry Katie in his arms up the mountain and back down! Thank goodness the views and the exhilarating feeling of actually climbing a mountain outweighed everything else! It was definitely on the kids list of things to do...and I'm extremely thankful that I was able to do it with them...well...behind them! ( So i wasn't the first one to reach the top... it was a great accomplishment!) The looks on the kids faces at the top was priceless. Maddy has unbelievable stamina and was running up and down with what seemed like unlimited energy! Ali stuck with mom and dad and I was so happy he did, or I would have missed all the little reptiles he found! I'd love to tell you more but I promised not to give away any of the details. I will post a link to his blog later so you can all check out his pictures from the day!

2 comments:

JenPB said...

WOW! You gotta love the desert this time of year. I hope you stay out there long enough to see the cacti bloom. It's fantastic!

l said...

You are making memories that will last a lifetime :)
Beautiful pictures.